A few years back my mom decided to simplify Christmas. I love (LOVE!) Christmas so imagine my hesitation when the word “simplify” came into play. However, as I’ve grown older I have thoroughly enjoyed this less chaotic version. My own home has our Christmas tree set up, a small carving of the Creche, and that’s about it. One way mom has simplified is in the gifting department. She’s opted to go with the four gift method – something you need, something you want, something to wear, and something to read. In this same vein, I wanted to share some things I wouldn’t mind receiving and hopefully it may give you an idea for a last-minute gift for the architect in your life.
Something You Need
This one is difficult as I’m fortunately in the position to be able to purchase almost everything I should need.
- Showerhead. I only want this to make cleaning the shower/tub combo unit we have easier to manage since our current shower head is stationary.
- Neoprene Camera Sleeve Case. This is to protect my camera during long hikes. At present, I wrap the spare layer (like a sweater) I keep in my day pack to help protect my DSLR. This isn’t a great solution, so I’m hoping a neoprene sleeve will help.
- Cooking Pots. This one is a legit need. The finish on one of my pots is flaking off and I can now see the metal underneath. Let me just say that I have loved this particular pot which is an odd thing to say, but the lid has a strainer built-in!
Something You Want
Oh, this list could go on for quite some time, but I’ll keep it short.
- Vintage Style Radio – to put in my kitchen. I don’t need anything fancy, but I’d like the option to listen to the radio or something from my phone while I’m in the kitchen – more freedom to dance and such.
- Games – board or card as we do game nights with friends on occasion and it’s always good to have a new game to share.
- Interesting Cookbooks. I may be a picky eater, but I like trying new things. Yes, you can find millions of recipes online, but sometimes I just want to flip through a book.
Something to Wear
- A nice winter coat. My current winter coat is more in the realm of a ski jacket/coat. I would love something that is a bit nicer looking.
- Scarf…because you can’t really go wrong with a good scarf
- Fun Socks. Much for the same reason to purchase a scarf.
Something to Read
- 100 Ideas that Changed Architecture by Richard Weston
- Word of Mackay Lyons Sweetapple Architects: Economy as Ethic by Robert McCarter
- Harry Potter – Illustrated Editions by J.K. Rowling