The bulk of the demolition on the new building is now officially done. I was ecstatic to have some forward progress on the building. Unfortunately for this night owl, forward progress begins at O-dark-hundred. Ok, it’s actually 7 am, but I was awake and on the road before the sun was up. The things we do for progress.

Surprisingly, parenting has prepared me for some aspects of demotion. First, demo sounds an awful lot like my kids and their friends doing “nothing” in the house. The good news is, I have years of experience tuning this kind of noise out. Except for the occasional really loud bangs that shake the building and have dust falling from the ceiling, I’ve resisted the urge to duck and cover, but I’m keeping the option on the table. It’s not a great option since I would take cover under a card table turned desk, but it’s good to have options. There were also a couple of times when water started pouring from the ceiling near my desk. My mommy instinct kicked in, I quickly assessed where the water would do the most damage and moved those items first.

One of the more enlightening aspects of demolition was the dumpster. I hadn’t really considered the importance of the dumpster in controlling the schedule. On multiple occasions, the dumpster was full and caused work inside to grind to a halt. The demo guys didn’t see much sense in knocking down walls when there was no place to put the debris. A few times they did make piles and just moved them from area to area. What I still don’t understand is why it takes so long to have a dumpster emptied. We waited 3-5 days more than once. When the demo crew finally left, I asked them to remove the dumpster to free up the parking spaces. It took 2.5 weeks to get it out, even with me asking multiple times.

Hey guys, the dumpster is full.

The business person inside of me also cringed when working with the demo crew. The proposal I got was vague, so it was difficult to determine what was additional work. Now, Scott walked the building with the owner twice before we started, so the scope should be clear. Yet there was still debate on what was extra. There were also explosive “discussions” between the management and crew on a regular basis. I witnessed 3 major labor issues in 2 weeks. Workers would get angry and leave (or threaten to leave). It was very volatile.

I am grateful for all these hard-working men did in a few short weeks, but I’m even more glad to move onto the next phase.